Sunday 27 July 2014

Granny Rectangle Cushions

I'm working on cushion covers at the moment. They're quite a quick project, so I thought I would share how I'm making them...
I started with some pillows, which I cut in half (and stitched up the open edge) to get a nice size for the cushions. Using this fantastic pattern (be aware that it's a US pattern and so double crochet stitches need to be changed to trebles if you're in the UK) I made the fourteen-round granny rectangles using seven nice summery colours(they're for my garden chairs)in Double Knit acrylic yarn with a 4.5mm hook. When the fronts were done I made another rectangle (in one of the colours from the front) for a nice plain back. I then joined them together using double crochet stitches through both pieces, leaving the last side open to pop in the cushion before joining completely, and then did a nice frill edge. 

It's a really straightforward edge - (from the join of the row before)

*skip 2 stitches, treble 5 into next stitch,
skip 2 stitches, slip stitch into next stitch* 
repeat from *to* until you have a frill all the way around. 

I've only made the four so far, so I still have two to make so all six chairs have one. My favourite part is choosing the colour combinations!


No comments:

Post a Comment