Wednesday 17 June 2015

My Sock Yarn Blanket Begins...

So the thought was in my head last week, and it wouldn't go away, and now it would appear that I have started a new project, one that might well be a long time in the making...

 I gathered all of my leftover sock yarn, and my trusty 3mm hook, and I began making little squares. And suddenly there were five of them...
 The pattern is one that I found on a search of the internet, a sweet little mitred square pattern that works very nicely indeed. My particular method and exact stitch numbers are...

(UK stitch abbreviations)Using a 3mm hook and 4Ply yarn, chain 31 and turn

Into the back loops only (which gives the nice textured ribby effect) double crochet 14 stitches, skip 2 chains and dc14. 

Ch 1, then dc into 13 stitches, sk2, dc 13. Turn.
Ch 1, then dc into 12 stitches, sk2, dc 12. Turn.
Ch 1, then dc into 11 stitches, sk2, dc 11. Turn. And so on, you get the idea...
Until you have only two stitches either side of the gap, and you simply draw up a loop from each of the side stitches (still skipping the middle two) and wrap and pull through all of the loops. Then cut your yarn leaving a tail to sew up with!
This gives you a square that is approximately 5cm square. I just stitched them together through the side stitches, and added each square as it was made, hopefully this will help me to avoid the dreaded colour OCD...

My thanks to the creator, Mary Grace at Hooked on Needles for the wonderful pattern! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gemma! Thanks for linking back to Hooked On Needles as your source for this blanket! The pattern I used was from the Bernat website and it was free, but I can't seem to find the exact pattern on their website anymore. They do have a few that are similar to this though. I love how you are using your leftover sock yarn for your blanket! How colorful it will be when you are finished! Happy crocheting!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete