Tuesday 30 June 2015

Readings...June

I found myself in a fairly unusual position this month - I really didn't enjoy one of the books that I read. I persisted and finished "All the Materials for a Midnight Feast", but it really was a chore. In fact, it took most of the month to read it because I couldn't bring myself to pick it up. There's nothing that I can put my finger on, it just didn't go anywhere or have anything much to say. I don't really like to be negative, but it really was a disappointment. 
The positive was that "The Opposite of Loneliness" was full of brilliance. I found the recommendation on a blog that I follow, but unfortunately I have since lost track of which one, because I would like to thank the author for sharing it. Marina Keegan died so tragically young, but I believe that her legacy will be a great one. I would say it's worth picking up a copy for the opening essay alone, her words are so poignant... 

"We're so young. We can't, we MUST not loose this sense of possibility because in the end, it's all we have." Marina Keegan
My June books...
  • David Nicholls - "Us"
  • Gary Dexter - "All the Materials for a Midnight Feast"
  • Marina Keegan - "The Opposite of Loneliness"
  • Mark Thomas - "100 Acts of Minor Dissent"

No comments:

Post a Comment